Saturday, February 2, 2013

Energie Addidction.... Needs to End!


 
A note on using caffeine… (Disclaimer: I am in no way a science person, all of this is coming from my personal experience). Anyone who knows me knows I am a HUGE caffeine addict; like some people wonder how my heart still functions. While... I know it’s not a good thing, it is my vice and it is hard to quit.
The thing is, many people use caffeine, whether as their morning Starbucks fix or in a preworkout supplement to enhance their performance at the gym. I do believe caffeine has its place, but, too much of anything is a bad thing. Here is what happened to me yesterday…

 As I’m standing in the checkout line I see those lovely Monster Rehab “lemonades” staring at me. A cloudy day, early morning, a 2-for-1 sale and I caved. A smarter, more disciplined person than I would have one now, save one for another day. Well, suffice to say my diet yesterday basically consisted of both of those. I guess it’s a vice. 
You may be thinking heart palpitations, jitters, all those other sorts of caffeine related side effects… those things don’t happen to me anymore (I told you, caffeine addict, I’m now immune). Here is what did happen… I went to class last night. I went early to do my extra strength training; when class started I did my class strength training, I did the first portion of the “metcon”… The second portion started and… nothing. I had nothing left to give. It wasn’t that I was tired, I just had nothing left. THIS is my caffeine side effect, and it prevents me from doing all of the things I’m capable of.
It was once explained to me that we basically have a certain amount of energy everyday. When we use caffeine, it doesn’t exactly give you more energy, it steals energy from your reserve for later and uses it up now. Then later you have nothing. I cannot attest to the “science” of that, but it made sense to me.
This was my cue that it is time to stop altogether, at least for awhile. Bring on the headaches and drowsiness, I’d rather have that than weakness. Detox day 1 starts tomorrow, I’ll keep you posted.
At some point, that which you use to be more, can make you less and you have to step back and readjust your priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment