Sunday, February 3, 2013

1st Trimester & CrossFitting

Picture From www.againfaster.com
So I have recently discovered that I myself am pregnant. There are so many mixed reviews on what I should do or what I shouldn't do when it comes to my workout routine. It doesn't help that my mother is a nurse of 30 years and is full of her own expert advice. She also doesn't share or understand my desire to crossfit. She sees it as extreme and unsafe. I guess to the outside, uneducated viewer, this may seem true. So I have done some research and have come up with a better understanding of what the new research has found. No more worrying about keeping my heart rate below 140. YEAH!!

I will brake down the thee trimesters and point out different changes I will be going through in the upcoming months. I will describe how it will change my workout routine but not hinder it. We can do most everything we were doing before. There is just a little more to it then adjusting your grip on your snatch to make way for your ever growing belly.

A lot of women will wait until after their first trimester to announce their pregnancy, I was the same. I did inform my head coach of the important news. Someone needed to understand why I scaling back all my weights and taking so many breaks during each WOD. It was tough for me but not to easy to forget. Every time I would try to push myself to my max my body would remind me of the changes I was going through.  The first trimester brings on heavy fatigue and no matter how hard the competitive nature in me tried to push the prego part of me always had the gyms box fan and a water bottle in site. Some women are comfortable maintaining intensity during the first trimester, but try as I did I just found myself not feeling absolutely comfortable with it. I would advise girls like me to maybe cut out some reps. It helps you to keep up with your normal WOD times and no one around you will be the wiser. I am not an advocater of cheating, but in this situation I feel we can make an exception. In my worst days of my first trimester I actually just claimed to be sick allot. My man also is a member at my box so it was rough, because there was only half of this normal "power couple" showing up to the gym. I feel some people expected and there is no way to avoid that but just remember only do what you are comfortable with. There is no reason not to use the same amount of weights as you were before. Just accept the fact that you are not going to be hitting PR's anytime soon and maybe sometimes its OK to do 8 reps instead of 10.

There are some stats that I don't completely agree with. Like keeping your heart rate below 140. With all the changes that are going on in your body during the first trimester, and the rate at which your body is beginning to produce more blood it will be really hard to achieve this with any workout regimen. I like to look at it in a different lite. I feel that as long as you are still able to carry on a conversation while you are working out then you are at a good pace. This works for everyone at any level. If your like me, you have seen those two 10k ladies running while the entire time caring on a complete conversation about there family, job, and latest weekend endeavours. They don't skip a beat. Now, me my friends, there isn't a long distance bone in my body and about the third of the way through any distance run I am completely winded and just pushing through it.  So to make a long story short, just don't let yourself get winded, stop or slow down at what ever your max point is. . A better guide in my opinion is the talk test.  Always remember that even though you may not feel any different you are changing every day, don't ignore it. The first trimester is the most vital to you and your ever growing baby. Anything you put your body through you then put your baby through. Just the same as not smoking and drinking when your pregnant, you shouldn't restrict you or your babies oxygen either.

I am normally super active, I work out at my box 5-6 days a week and competed on a competitive adult kickball league. I am so glad to finally round out my first trimester because the increased blood volume and progesterone couple together for extreme fatigue. I took complete weeks off at one point. I had no desire to get off the couch, let alone go to the gym. For Christmas my man got me a stationary bike so that I could at least do something on my worst days.  Remember you are now at a greater risk of overheating. This is your most important concern when hitting the gym in this trimester.  While in my first trimester and working out at my box I always made sure that I was closest to the big floor fan. If there is no floor fan, try to stand next to an open door. Even if the other members think its a little cold this time of year, you will need it. I also encourage you to make sure you have plenty of water. Dehydration is a huge concern at this point as well. You need to already be drinking excess water for your bodies increased production of blood so while working out you are in desperate need for excess water. I always workout close to the water fountain and now that everyone knows my secret I even pull the fan close to me so I have both. I have no problem being a fan hog. I have noticed that none of my fellow crossfitters at CrossFit Bluegrass do either.


Exercise substitutes for the First Trimester
GHD Sit Ups: Regular Sit-Ups / Crunches
Toes 2 Bar: Knees 2 Elbows
Burpees: Use Cation & Your Head (See below)
Hand stand push-ups: Push Press
Box jumps: Lowest Box
 
 
Above I have listed the exercise changes I made in the 1st Trimester. I do not think it is smart to do any exercises on the GHD machine while pregnant. Too many people over extend while on this piece of equipment. I feel its just safest to avoid it all together. I continued to do burpees during my 1st Trimester but there wasn't much speed involved (very sloppy form was OK with me). I went down 1 hand and 1 leg at a time (NO dropping to the ground). I also completely avoided handstand push ups. There is enough going on with your circulatory system and heart that there is no need of putting your body through the extra stress of having all the blood rush to your head. Hand stand push-ups are a shoulder push movement so I recommend doing either dumbbell presses, strict shoulder presses or push presses, which ever your comfortable with. I also continued doing box jumps during my 1st Trimester, I just lowered the height of my normal box(instead of 24 in I used a 20in box). I am by no means a doctor. These are just my suggestions. No professional opinions here.
 
2nd Trimester tips to come. I am in my 14th week so I will keep you posted with what I find..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment